Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bak Kut Teh, Perak Road, opposite Padang Brown, Penang

After I told my friend I had bak kut teh in Sg. Nibong and don’t really fancy it, she thought I might want to give this one a try. This place has actually got no name, or perhaps I missed out the name. It is opposite the Padang Brown’s eating place, at the corner lot with zinc roofing, of the row of shop lots along Perak Road, before reaching the to the Tua Pek Kong if you turn in from the Dato Keramat Road.

bkb

bkabkd

Order was the typical one, mix of everything for 2 with “oily vegetables” (blanched lettuces with pork floss and soy sauce), and the must have yau char kway.

bkc

It has got really nice juicy pork belly.. i like! The soup is also clearer type, thin but flavourful. Can taste and smell the aroma of the herbs, serve piping hot and it’s really pleasant to just drink the soup on it’s own. After all, it’s drink all you want, refillable.. haha… like all the bak kut teh’s stall ler…

bke The clay pot is rather small but they are not stingy with ingredients…

bkf The vege is also not bad.. normal but most importantly, not too soft… although blanched in hot boiling water with oil, it still has the slight crunchy-ness.

bkgAnd the yau char kway…

How’s the verdict? Well, I think I would still like to try for more available bak kut teh. I have a list done… haha… this bak kut teh is not bad.. the flavour is there, the ingredients are fresh and the price is reasonable. Bak kut teh for 2 with vege and the yau char kway, with 2 bottled “geng geng” (dried longans) drink, is cost at MYR 22.00. So it’s actually cheaper than the one I tried in Sg Nibong’s. Worth a try? Yes it is…

No comments: