Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mom's 56th birthday at home

Went back last weekend for mom's birthday... suggested that I will cook for dinner instead of going out for dinner like previous years... little did I know, my mom's friends will be coming over that day.... and I cannot back off last minute... haha..  mom's friend will be returning to UK soon... so she went to my hometown to just have chit chat session with my mom and another friend who is now staying in Kulim. 3 of them previously went to England for nurses courses, training etc.... so, they are pretty much good old friends... catching up with each others progress and updates in life, at the same time trying to recall the good times they had previously... Both of her friends came to over night as they have planned to chit chat the whole night... haha...

I cooked a simple dinner with no plans in my head.. as initially we planned a small party buffet style with bbq, but mom in the end said she's a bit lazy... so we canceled the whole thing off.. the menu planned was slightly different.. so I just have to rethink of what to cook.. worst still.. I woke up late and did not manage to go to the market for fresh supplies... went to nearby Giant instead... so in the end... I came out with ................... jeng jeng jeng....

2 Shrimp paste "Belacan" fried chicken wings... mom's favourite part of the chicken... mine too.. :)

43 Fried wantan.... initially I wanted to cook soup.. but I don't know what was I thinking... I just deep fried everything.. shessh! in the end, no soup! worst of all, no mince pork.. I minced chicken instead... wantan skin bought in supermarket... cannot go... it's either too thick... or something... next time I shall buy it from the wet market :( luckily still edible.. just the texture is not very right... I prefer pork :P

5 Tofu with minced meat and peas....

7 6

Mango fish... mango chicken would taste better but already have chicken.. so substitute with fish instead.... worst of all, not much fish choice in Giant that day.. they don even have bigger fish for me to fillet it myself... benci.. in the end have to opt for the dory fish which I personally don't really prefer due to some weird smell and taste it has... I think due to the water it was frozen with.. Good thing with sesame oil, it manage to cover slightly the smell off...

8 Vegetable, "Di Huang Miao" they call it... blanched topped with oyster sauce and fried garlic..

10 Full course... with soup missing.. simple homecook that cost less than RM40.. muahaha...

9 Honey dew pudding.... I shall never ever buy this flavour again.. haha... I'll go back to mango... It tasted not very bad.. but the colour itself... urmm.... did not expect it to come out jade coloured... boring... hmm.. mango it is, the next time.....

Everyone enjoyed dinner... fortunately... or maybe just bagi mom face only.. hahaha... i shall plan things earlier and get all the ingredients... tak boleh harap hypermarket/supermarket in SP.. cos they don't have pork (ok.. I'm like stressing pork a lot of times here...).. and sometimes the particular ingredient you want.. like my fish!! Maybe Tesco has it.. it's just I'm too lazy to drive up north... kekeke...

No comments: