Friday, June 19, 2009

Dim Sum Breakfast @ Red Tea House - Farlim, Penang

Hmm.. yes yes… another scrumptious dim sum breakfast post. I was out jogging with a friend at Air Itam Dam, which we took the wrong route and it kinda became a partly hiking trip.

It was my first time there and I wasn’t familiar with the route and my friend as well haven’t been there for a long time… we ended up hiked up a long torturous  journey halfway up the steep road to the Tua Pek Kong’s, until I asked a a couple of resting mountain bikers, “jauh lagi ke?” (Is it still far away?) One of them asked me where am I going? I said, isn’t this the route around the dam? Well, I then found out that the route we used, would be the same road down and there’s no other road connection to like another side… aiseh… so we walked back down the steep road and then took the correct turning to the dam area and was already too tired to make another round, so we decided to go for breakfast… haha.. so much for the calories burned, we ended up piling them up again…

Red Tea House Restaurant is located right opposite the old Sunshine Farlim, now more like the wholesale Sunshine Farlim store. It’s among the one row of shop houses, a corner lot next to Sen Heng. Along Sen Heng outlet, they have like roofing extension out for them to lay their tables and chairs to cater seats for their sea of customers. We were there pretty late.. it was near to 11:00am when we reached and the place was still pretty packed with customers. Found an empty table and settled for a pot of Pu Er tea and the next thing I thing, the table was full with different types of yummy dim sums. The have extensive of dim sum selections, steamed and deep fried (savoury and sweet ones), chee cheong fun, bao-s (steamed buns with various fillings), porridge, shark fin’s soup, steamed chicken, and many many more…. And all of them are very tempting…

 2

16

Our Pu Er tea…

15

Staffs with big round trays containing lotsa different dim sums, from tables to tables, and off to refill from the steaming station and back to tables to serve the customers…

3 The har mai (prawn & meat dumplings), their dim sum has 4 pieces per serving. This one is slightly bigger than the regular siew mai topped with really fresh prawns…. juicy, tender and good…

4 I don’t know what is this called but it’s a dumpling with fresh succulent prawns and half scallop.. also good but the skin is slightly thicker… but the freshness of the prawns win it all…

5 There.. the scallop piece….

6 And yes.. another prawn dumplings… the prawns are really fresh… seriously… each and every bite.. yum… this is also prawn dumplings with coriander leaves (chinese parsley), my friend could don really like it because of the coriander leaves… i told her it’s a nice fragrant, she gave me the “eeeyuck face”… haha… i used to be like that too.. don’t fancy the smell and the taste but somehow grew to enjoy eating them…

7 Siew Mai was regular…and it came in 3 pieces… they even have other siew mai-s with different skin colour like reddish orange and purple!

8 Har kow was good too, thanks to again, the fresh yummy juicy prawns…

9The prawn roll with mayo was good, prawns portion are generous, and fresh ( I can’t recall how many times I’ve emphasize on the freshness of the prawns served in each and ever dim sum I managed to savour), it would be better if the skin of the roll is not too thick…. as in like rolled with extra layers…. It’s however one of the nicest I’ve tasted..

10 The pai kut ong (spare ribs) was okay… not too oily… just nice….

11 Fish balls…. not my fav… well, it’s not that it’s not nice, but I personally don’t take fish balls for dim sum :)

12 We ordered 9 plates, pai kut ong missing in this photo…. :D

1

Look the the yummy dim sums.. :D The bill came up to around MYR 28.90… for a pot of tea and 9 plates of dim sum….

14

Time to clean up, closing time soon, at 12:00 noon.

13

Business starts and 6:00am and I heard business is doing really well… I have no doubt about it… with huge selections and fresh dim sums… I’ll go back for more myself :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when was d last time u went there,. now they serve a lot of variety.. steam or fried dimsum. even got sweet type.. cheese tart, should go n hv a look..